Gamberi alla Parmigiana (Shrimp Parmigiana) Courtesy Chef Lidia Bastianich


Let me apologize in advance as I saw this recipe on public TV one weekend at the lake and it looked so yummy I had to try it. Since I didn't plan to blog it I took no pictures of the steps but it was easy delicious and so different I took the completed photo. Try it --needless to say I halved the recipe below.

Serves 4 to 6
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons milk
2 cups bread crumbs
Kosher salt for seasoning
1 1/2 pounds jumbo shrimp, peeled, deveined and butterflied
Vegetable oil for frying
2 cups shredded low-moisture mozzarella
1/2 cup Grana Padano or Parmigiano Reggiano
3 cups marinara sauce, or 3 cups LIDIA’S Marinara
1.    Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spread flour on a plate. Beat eggs and milk in a shallow bowl. Spread bread crumbs on a plate. Season all 3 with kosher salt.
2.    Working a few at a time, dredge shrimp in flour, egg, and then breadcrumbs. Put breaded shrimp on a baking sheet and bread remaining shrimp.
3.    Heat 1 inch of vegetable oil in a straight-sided skillet until the tip of a shrimp sizzles on contact. Fry shrimp in batches, taking care not to crowd them, until golden on all sides, about 2 to 3 minutes per batch. Drain on paper towels and season shrimp with salt.
4.    In a bowl, mix together mozzarella and grated Grana Padano. Spread 1 cup marinara sauce in the bottom of a 10-by-15-inch Pyrex or similar sized baking dish. Arrange all the shrimp in one layer. Drizzle with 1 1/2 cups sauce. Sprinkle with cheese mixture and dollop with remaining 1/2 cup sauce. Bake until cheese is browned and crusty and sauce is bubbly, about 15 to 20 minutes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robke's Famous Pork Chop Martini

Siri Daly's Sticky Ham Sandwiches/ Sliders GUEST BLOG

Michael Symon's Ricotta Meatballs