Clam Chowder (or Chowda')

Clam Chowder is definitely a New England favorite- I found 2 different recipes to use as a template but then just created my own --I was trying to use up the leftover clams as well as keep it a 'light' version -- it was a little thin upon sampling so used about 1T cornstarch in 2T skim milk and thickened it. A little instant mashed added would have done the same trick and don't be soooo horrified I do use instant sometimes!


20 clams -cooked and cleaned (see the ziploc of my leftovers) -Chopped
1 Bottle Clam juice
1 c half and half
1 T flour
2 T dry sherry (optional- I think I would skip it next time)
1 onion, chopped
EVOO
3-4 small potatoes -cooked and chopped small dice
bay leaf
1/4 tsp dry chopped thyme
tabasco sauce to taste

Saute your onion in EVOO until soft --then add flour and stir and cook for a minute--add clam juice
Cook until thickens about 1-2 minutes--add bay leaf and thyme

Stir in cooked potatoes, half and half, sherry, clams and tabasco and simmer
Now ours didnt thicken enough to our liking so I added 1T cornstarch mixed with about 2 T cold half and half and then added to chowder--it thickened nicely then.

Remove your bay leaf to serve--actually we made this up for Friday Lenten lunch so it went directly into containers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robke's Famous Pork Chop Martini

Siri Daly's Sticky Ham Sandwiches/ Sliders GUEST BLOG

Michael Symon's Ricotta Meatballs